CSIRO's vegetable education program for Australian primary schools.
Welcome to the Taste & Learn™ program!
Taste & Learn™ is an evidence-based program for Australian primary schools that supports student learning and fosters enjoyment of vegetables to positively impact children’s health and wellbeing.
Focuses on sensory education, not nutrition education
- theoretical framework based on scientific insights on development of vegetable acceptance in children and sensory education
- large emphasis on experiential learning and vegetable tastings in structured activities
- focuses on fun, enjoyment and being a food adventurer
- does not emphasize health.
Evidence based, tested with a strong scientific design
- demonstrated effects on student outcomes using a large trial with 25 schools (1639 students)
- program and materials positively evaluated by teachers
- developed and evaluated by CSIRO Agriculture & Food in collaboration with CSIRO Education & Outreach and CSIRO Health & Biosecurity
- for details on the evidence base, see Publications.
Aligned to the Australian curriculum
- cross-curricular unit, aligns to Key Learning Areas including English, Science and Mathematics, general capabilities and cross-curricular priorities (Asia and Australia’s engagement with Asia and Sustainability).
Easy to use teacher materials
- three units of work for Foundation – Year 2, Year 3 – 4 and Year 5 – 6
- each unit consists of five one-hour lessons
- fully written lesson plans with student worksheets and electronic whiteboard support
- implementation manual and digital teacher training module
- materials designed by education professionals and piloted in 25 schools.