CSIRO’s Reconciliation Action Plan outlines the actions we will take to build stronger relationships with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples through scientific knowledge sharing, education, employment opportunities and mutually beneficial partnerships that can deliver a positive impact to all Australians.
Endorsed by Reconciliation Australia, Reconciliation Action Plans (RAP) outline practical actions that the organisation will take to build strong relationships and enhance respect between Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and other Australians. A RAP also sets out the organisation's aspirations to achieve greater equality.
CSIRO's RAP builds on the significant body of work undertaken since the development and implementation of our first Indigenous Engagement Strategy in 2007 and is aligned with the CSIRO Corporate Plan 2020-21.
In 2016 we launched our first Innovate RAP, reflecting our commitment to invest in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural knowledge in relation to science, and the participation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in Australia's research and innovation landscape.
In 2018, we furthered this commitment by building on our previous RAP and setting new goals for our agency that can deliver sustainable outcomes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
- affirms its commitment to reconciliation with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, the oldest living culture in the world
- recognises Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the first inhabitants of Australia and respects their enduring connection to lands, skies, waters, plants and animals
- commits to enabling Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples to contribute to and benefit from education, science, innovation and research
- demonstrates CSIRO's commitment to fostering a culture of inclusion and cultural awareness
- demonstrates that CSIRO is working towards the Commonwealth Government's target of three per cent of all purchases being made through Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander owned businesses
- commits to the Commonwealth Government’s target of three per cent Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employment and outlines a new Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Employment Strategy to help us achieve this
- commits to celebrating the successes of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and the sharing of their customs, cultures, knowledge and languages to improve CSIRO’s work for the benefit of the Australian community.
Our RAP has been extended until May 2021 and is championed by the CSIRO's Indigenous Engagement Implementation Committee, the Office of Indigenous Engagement, our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff forum and the external Indigenous Strategic Advisory Council. It has also been endorsed by Reconciliation Australia, CSIRO's Executive Team and the CSIRO Board.
Download the RAP
- CSIRO's Reconciliation Action Plan PDF (3 MB)
- Text version: CSIRO's Reconciliation Action Plan TXT (36 KB)