About our scholarship
Our scholarship helps connect the brightest young physicists or mathematicians to leading research centres overseas or in Australia. The founders of this scholarship know that early experience in cutting edge laboratories greatly benefits Australian research and helps build your career and network.
The scholarship honours the contributions of Drs. John Dunlop, Tony Farmer, Gerry Haddad and Don Price to Australian science and Physics in particular. They were leaders and mentors in the physics community, inspiring those around them and they enjoyed nothing more than passing on their skills and knowledge to younger scientists. It is fitting to honour their memories through the establishment of a post-graduate scholarship based on academic achievement.
We have been able to establish this scholarship thanks to generous donations from the Laboratories Credit Union, CSIRO, CSIRO Alumni, the family, friends and colleagues of Drs. John Dunlop, Tony Farmer, Gerry Haddad and Don Price.
The 2022 CSIRO Alumni Scholarship in Physics will be a postgraduate scholarship of $6,000, which will be used to fund travel costs to visit and/or conduct research in an overseas or interstate institution such as a University or research establishment of international standing in the field of proposed research.
In these uncertain times, we understand that travel restrictions may have an impact. To reflect the current situation, we have updated our criteria for the 2022 scholarship to allow the winner up to 18 months to use the scholarship for travel or use it to further their career with training, attend online conferences or develop their research.
How to apply
Applications for the 2022 scholarship will open on 1 September 2021 and close on 3 December 2021.
- Application Criteria for the 2022 CSIRO Alumni Scholarship in Physics
A selection panel will assess all applications that meet the Application criteria set out below.
The selection panel will comprise of four distinguished physicists and the Chair of the CSIRO Alumni NSW Chapter.
Expressions of interest must be submitted via the Application Form online.
The proposed research should principally be in the fields of physics or closely related topics.
The following fields will be favourably considered:
- Environmental Physics
- Optics, Photonics and Lasers
- Condensed matter, Materials and Surfaces Physics
- Quantum Information, Concepts & Coherence
- Atomic and Molecular Physics
- Nuclear & Particle Physics
- Biomedical Physics
- Plasma Physics
- Musical Acoustics and Ultrasonics
- Atmospheric, Solar, Terrestrial and Space Physics
- Solar, Terrestrial and Space Physics
- Astronomy & Astrophysics
- Complex Systems, Computational & Mathematical Physics
- Relativity & Gravitation
- Energy, Energy Materials and Energy Systems
This scholarship is awarded based on the quality of the undergraduate degree, the alignment to Australian research and the international standing of the respective institutes or universities.
A mandatory requirement is a letter (or email) of support from the host University or institute.
The applicant is required to state that they are able and willing to travel, based on the current restrictions being lifted by the time they plan to go overseas. They will need to arrange comprehensive travel insurance for the duration of their trip.
If the scholarship is to be used for other training courses, online conferences, events and purposes other than travel, please supply as much information as possible to demonstrate how these will further your career.
To be eligible for consideration, the applicant must be:
- An Australian citizen or Permanent Resident
- Students who have completed their Undergraduate degree and enrolled into a higher science degree at an Australian University.
Conditions of the scholarship
- The successful applicant is to use the scholarship to fund travel costs to visit and/or conduct research in a University or research establishment of international standing in the field of proposed research, OR
(For 2022 scholarship only, due to possible restrictions on travel)
They are to use the scholarship funding to support their career by attending courses, online conferences and alternative non-travel activities. The application needs to include details and costing of these activities to show how the scholarship will be spent.
- The Scholarship award will be $6000
- The scholarship is awarded in Feb 2022 and if used for travel, the travel must be commenced before Aug 2023 (allowance of 18 months, due to current restrictions)
- The successful applicant is expected to submit a brief written report on the outcomes of their research visit within three months of their return to Australia
- If feasible the successful applicant will attend and give a short talk at the award ceremony the following year.
We thank our major sponsor, Laboratories Credit Union, for their continuing support.