Eligible students are:
- students in the second or third year of their undergraduate course, with at least two full semesters remaining at the time of application
- students in double degrees who have completed two full years of their undergraduate degree at the time of application
- enrolled at a Victorian tertiary institution
- students with a Weighted Average Mark (WAM) of 70% or above.
Non-eligible students are:
- students enrolled in international or non-Victorian tertiary institutions
- students in the first year or in the final semester of their course
- students completing their degrees at the end of the academic year are not eligible to apply for the summer intake of that academic year
- students completing their degree in the middle of the academic year, are not eligible to apply for the winter intake of that year
- students who will be completing Honours at the same time as their UROP placement is scheduled.
Student applications for Round 2 of UROP have now closed. Applications for Round 1 of UROP for 2024 will open early in 2024.
To apply for UROP, please visit Jobs at CSIRO.
The UROP application requires you to submit a curriculum vitae including the contact details of one academic referee.
If you are shortlisted for an interview, you will be required to provide:
- a copy of your academic results (unofficial transcripts are acceptable).
All documents must be submitted in pdf format.
Please read and comply with the Application instructions (below) before submitting your application. Applications that do not comply with the Application instructions will not be considered, nor will late or incomplete applications.
UROP key dates
Where to apply
Student applications are submitted using the Jobs at CSIRO recruitment portal.
What to submit
- Curriculum vitae (resume).
Submitting your application
During your application you will be asked to complete free text boxes answering some questions (word limits apply).
- documents must be in PDF format
- please ensure your name is on all documents (header or footer)
- late applications will not be considered
- applications surpassing the word limit will not be considered
- applications will not be accepted if they are missing any attachments.
Further information about required documents
Curriculum vitae (resume)
There is no fixed length for the curriculum vitae, but it is preferable to be concise – between one to three A4 pages. Please include the following:
- name of the course you are currently enrolled in, current year of study and anticipated completion date (excluding an Honours year)
- name and contact details (including e-mail address) of one academic referee (you must obtain permission from the referee) - the referee may or may not be contacted
- your contact details
- your education and employment history
- any other relevant information.
Electronic copy of academic record
- shortlisted students will be required to submit an electronic copy of their academic record. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable if downloaded from the official university page and clearly show the name of the university.
- the full record of your results can be downloaded from your student information system
- the most up-to-date record of your results, for the full period of your undergraduate candidature to date, is required
- unofficial transcripts are acceptable. If selected for placement, you may be required to provide an official academic transcript to the employing organisation
- all results must be entered, including fails.
Availability for Placement
Please ensure that you are available for a period of four weeks during the Summer vacation, or a period of two weeks during the Winter vacation, to complete the full-time placement requirement.
If you are offered another placement for the vacation during the UROP decision-making period, please let us know as soon as possible.
Notification of status of application
All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application by email once final decisions are confirmed. Please do not contact UROP enquiring about the status of your application prior to this time. We notify all applicants of the final status of their application but do not provide individual feedback.