Our Bebras Journey
Looking back at Bebras lead by CSIRO
The Bebras Computational Thinking Challenge is an international initiative to promote computer science among school students of all ages. Bebras has been sponsored by the Australian Government Department of Industry, Science and Resources (DISR) through the Digital Careers Grant and delivered by CSIRO as the National Bebras Organiser (NBO).
CSIRO has proudly delivered the following:
- Two challenge rounds annually, and since September 2021 reached more than 20,000 students per round.
- Bebras 365 and Bebras Mini Challenges have offered continuous access to Bebras past challenges and created an always-accessible resource for teaching specific computational thinking skills.
- Along with international delivery counterparts, Bebras Australia contributed to a program that reached over 3.2 million students in 59 countries in 2022.
Thanks to the Bebras Computational Thinking challenge, students have gained a stronger understanding of computational thinking. This has enhanced their skills and confidence in using these abilities in various contexts:
- 91% reported improvement in students' ability to complete computational thinking activities.
- 91% reported improvement in student confidence in using computational thinking.
- 88% reported improvement in students' understanding of computational thinking.
- 76% reported improved student ability to apply computational thinking skills to other situations.
The CSIRO team thanks you for helping develop students’ computational thinking, promoting digital career pathways, and increasing the pipeline of skilled digital professionals in Australia.
The Digital Careers funding from DISR concluded in January 2024, and CSIRO resigned as the Australian NBO for Bebras after the 2023 challenge.