As we move into an era of fast-paced technological disruption, an innovative STEM-skilled workforce will be essential for the growth of our nation and economic prosperity.
There is a clear current and future need for STEM-skilled talent. STEM skills are already in high demand, growing 1.5 times faster than demand for other jobs. The New South Wales Government has made a ten-year $25 million endowment to the Science and Industry Endowment Fund (SIEF) to establish the Generation STEM initiative to attract, support, retain and train NSW students in STEM and school, into further education and into employment.
Generation STEM will deliver programs that attract more diverse, high‐potential high school students into NSW‐based STEM educational pathways (higher education and vocational education and training) and retain top performers in NSW‐based STEM employment and/or further education.
CSIRO is working closely with industry and the education sector to develop and deliver programs that have proven impact, with a clear focus on achieving measurable results.
How will students benefit?
- Exposure to real-world applications of STEM.
- Development of problem-solving skills.
- Heightened awareness of local STEM career pathways and opportunities.
How will communities benefit?
- Higher levels of youth engagement in solving community challenges by engaging with industry and local government.
- Engaging STEM-based activities for students, which may increase transferable skills and encourage interest in continuing STEM-based study.
- Enhanced connections between local schools, local industry and the broader STEM networks.
- Increased number of 'work-ready' students transitioning into the local STEM workforce.
To assist with the strategic direction of the program, SIEF has appointed a panel of highly regarded STEM professionals to the Generation STEM Consultative Council to provide advice and recommendations. CSIRO Education and Outreach manages and delivers Generation STEM, consulting bi-annually with the council regarding the direction and programs of the initiative.