Generation STEM was born out of a need to strengthen and diversify the New South Wales (NSW) science, tech, engineering and maths (STEM) pipeline through connection, engagement and research-backed programs.
The NSW Government has made a 10-year $25 million endowment to the Science and Industry Endowment Fund (SIEF) to establish Generation STEM to attract, support, and retain NSW students in STEM and school into further education and employment.
Generation STEM is delivering the STEM Community Partnerships Program, Generation STEM Links and Deadly in Generation STEM to empower and attract more diverse students into NSW‐based STEM educational pathways (higher education and vocational education and training) and retain students in NSW‐based STEM employment and/or further education.
CSIRO is working with industry, community and education sectors to develop and deliver programs that have proven impact, with a clear focus on achieving measurable results.
More about Generation STEM’s programs and progress
- Generation STEM Evaluation Report 2019–22 PDF (3 MB)
- Generation STEM Evaluation Report 2019–22 TXT (181 KB)
- Generation STEM 2022 Annual Review PDF (4 MB)
- Generation STEM 2022 Annual Review TXT (44 KB)
- Generation STEM 2021 Annual Review PDF (3 MB)
- Generation STEM 2021 Annual Review TXT (35 KB)
How will students benefit?
- Exposure to real-world applications of STEM
- Development of problem solving skills
- Heightened awareness of local STEM career pathways and opportunities.
How will communities benefit?
- Higher levels of youth engagement in solving community challenges by engaging with industry and local government
- Engaging STEM-based activities for students, which may increase transferable skills and encourage interest in continuing STEM-based study
- Enhanced connections between local schools, local industry and the broader STEM networks
- Increased number of 'work-ready' students transitioning into the local STEM workforce.
To assist with the strategic direction of the program, SIEF has appointed a panel of highly regarded STEM professionals to the Generation STEM Consultative Council to provide advice and recommendations. CSIRO Education and Outreach manages and delivers Generation STEM, consulting bi-annually with the council regarding the directions and programs of the initiative.