Australia has a growing demand for solutions that support the mining sector address mine closure challenges to accomplish optimal social, environmental and economic outcomes.
Developed in consultation with over 60 industry and government organisations, we have delivered a new report for the Cooperative Research Centre for Transformation in Mining Economies (CRC TiME). This report explores the growth opportunities for Australian businesses to supply equipment, technology and services-based solutions that help solve the industry’s mine closure challenges.
Download the report
- Future mine closures: Analysis by CSIRO projects the closure of nearly 240 Australian mines by 2040, estimating an annual expenditure ranging from $4–8 billion on mine rehabilitation and closure.
- Ongoing industry demand: Over 2,220 active mines and tens of thousands awaiting rehabilitation highlight the persistent demand for innovative solutions in Australia's mining sector.
- Global supplier potential: Australia is poised to become a global leader in supplying solutions for mine closures, leveraging domestic challenges to fuel international industry growth.
Existing and emerging opportunities for Australian Mine Closure Solutions providers are identified across four categories of mine closure solutions:
- Engagement and partnership: Solutions that enable effective engagement, co-design, and mutually beneficial partnerships to improve social performance and reduce risks.
- Waste reduction and recovery: Solutions enabling cost-effective reduction, reuse, and recycling of mine waste to minimise closure liabilities.
- Mine rehabilitation: Solutions improving the performance and cost-effectiveness of mine rehabilitation activities.
- Land use transitions: Solutions addressing challenges in establishing post-closure land uses to generate lasting economic, social, or environmental value.
To enable these opportunities, government and industry stakeholders will need to take coordinated and targeted action to address key barriers to developing a Mine Closure Solutions industry. This report identifies 11 collaborative and targeted enabling actions for governments, miners, and mine closure solutions providers. These actions are designed to support the growth of a sustainable and productive industry that can improve mine closure and transition outcomes for all stakeholders.
Catch up on the Mine Closure Solutions report webinar hosted by CRC TiME and CSIRO Futures to gain an in-depth understanding of the report's key findings.