Download the strategy:
MNF 2030 is a milestone strategy for the CSIRO Marine National Facility (MNF) to guide the use of Australia’s dedicated marine research capability for the next 10 years. Building on our significant achievements to date, MNF 2030 seeks to ensure that access to the MNF is broad and equitable, and that the research we enable is aligned with Australia’s national research priorities.
What is changing?
MNF 2030 introduces wide ranging improvements in the way researchers access sea time on research vessel (RV) Investigator, and in the way we schedule research.
The changes are aimed at facilitating the delivery of value and benefits to the nation from the significant government investment in the MNF, and building on Australia’s excellence in the marine and atmospheric sciences by:
- Encouraging policy-driven research to stimulate and support high impact projects
- Diversifying access to sea-time to reflect the breadth of needs of our users
- Introducing a flexible scheduling approach and streamlined digital tools for operational efficiency
- Implementing an MNF 25-year Capability Investment Framework to guide strategic development of our research capabilities
- Enhancing our education and training programs in collaboration with other agencies and industries
- Increasing our focus on raising awareness about how the research we deliver benefits Australians and the world.
The development of MNF 2030 follows an independent review of the previous MNF access framework. This review was completed in 2019 and involved wide consultation with our stakeholders, including government, industry and the research community.
The review was a key driver in the development of MNF 2030, which was also guided by advice from the MNF Steering Committee.
Implementing MNF 2030
The primary vehicle to implement MNF 2030 is an annual MNF Operations Rolling Plan. The inaugural MNF Operations Rolling Plan was released in early 2021, to coincide with the call for sea time applications.
An MNF Operations Rolling Plan is released at the time of each call for Primary Applications for sea time on RV Investigator.
The MNF held a webinar series in November 2020 to provide stakeholders with an overview of MNF 2030 and answer questions. A recording of the presentation on 25 November 2020 is available via the following link:
Webinar presentation (recorded 25 Nov 2020): https://webcast.csiro.au/#/webcasts/mnf2030[Link will open in a new window]