In December 2020, we published our Sustainability Strategy 2020-2030 which aims to improve our environmental, economic and social impact, and enable us to be an exemplar of sustainable culture, practice and operations.
Our goals include a sustainable property portfolio, a transition to clean energy, and responsible value chain, where we consider and reduce the environmental and social impacts of our purchases.
It’s at the core of our purpose to deliver solutions that protect our quality of life, our economy, and our unique environment, while ensuring that we continue to be globally competitive. We are trusted to lead the way in tackling great challenges. This puts us in a unique position to lead by example and share our learnings as we use our own science to improve our internal operations, as well as creating solutions for industry and all Australians.
This is our second report and it shows how we are tracking on some of our ambitious targets set out in the strategy such as achieving net zero by 2030. This sustainability report should be read in conjunction with our annual report.
Our report details achievements across the themes of:
- our science
- our stakeholders, including our people
- our business.
Sustainability Report 2023 at a glance:
- We’ve made great strides in the diversity, inclusion and belonging space, releasing our refreshed Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging Strategy 2023-2026. We’re also one of the first public sector organisations to voluntarily report to the Workplace Gender Equality Agency. We’re proud to have achieved gender balance at both board and executive levels.
- We formed a Climate-risk Working Group.
- We made a 7% reduction in our electricity and gas consumption in our buildings since last financial year.
- We reduced our scope 1 and 2 greenhouse gas emissions by 79% from our 2019 baseline.
- We won the inaugural Most Trusted Government Services Brand at the Roy Morgan Trusted Brand Awards.
- We were also awarded Sustainability Research and Development Leader in The Australian Financial Review’s Sustainability Leaders list in June 2023.
- We continued to implement our Property Strategy to review our ageing property portfolio and managed to further reduce our property footprint by almost 10,000m2.