CSIRO’s Industry PhD (iPhD) Program brings together an industry partner, a university and CSIRO to co-develop a four-year industry-focussed PhD project. The shortlisting, selection and recruitment of the PhD student is conducted jointly by CSIRO, the university partner and the industry partner based on the needs of the research project, the program’s eligibility criteria, and the PhD admission requirements of the participating university.
If successful, you will undertake a co-designed research project to develop your ability to translate research into commercial outcomes. You'll get real-world experience, develop transferable professional skills, and be well-positioned to work at the cutting edge of industry focussed research while accessing specialised expertise, equipment and training.
View our current student scholarships.
- admission to a university PhD program
- a four-year scholarship package of $46,000 per annum (2024 rate)
- a four-year Project Expense and Development package of up to $13,000 per annum
- a three-month or 60-day full-time equivalent Industry Engagement component
- professional development training to develop your applied research and career skills
- supervision by the host university, CSIRO and an industry partner.
- Deliver greater impact by conducting research relevant to an industry partner.
- Develop a broad range of industry-focussed skills.
- Strengthen knowledge in entrepreneurship, innovation and translation of research.
- Grow transferable professional skills such as communication, teamwork, management and organisational skills.
- Gain access to specialised expertise, equipment and training from university, CSIRO and industry.
- Deepen networks with industry, university and CSIRO.
- Boost employability and broaden future career opportunities.
- be an Australian citizen or permanent resident, or a New Zealand citizen
- meet host university PhD admission requirements
- meet university English language requirements
- have not previously completed a PhD
- be able to commence the program in the year of the offer
- enrol as a full-time PhD student
- be prepared to be located at the project location(s) that the host university has approved and, if required, comply with the host university’s external enrolment procedures.
Download a copy of the Student T&Cs PDF (136 KB)
Projects and supervision
Projects will address an industry problem while complying with the host university's requirements for a Doctor of Philosophy Degree. Degrees will be assessed through the regular schedule of higher degree by research milestones. Alongside the university supervisory team, you will also be mentored by an industry and CSIRO supervisor, who will provide specialist guidance on the project throughout the candidature.
Research projects are generally instigated by collaboration between an industry partner, university supervisor and CSIRO supervisor.
View our current scholarship projects.
However, if you are a student with a project idea in mind, please contact your supervisor to submit an enquiry on your behalf via iPhD@csiro.au. Please note, projects must not have yet commenced, and an open recruitment process for the project must still occur.
Training and industry engagement components
You will receive a three-month or 60-day full-time equivalent Industry Engagement component hosted by your industry partner. This will provide you with exposure to the broader work environment and provide opportunities to develop work-ready skills and business acumen.
You will also receive a structured professional development package delivered by CSIRO. This package will help foster essential professional skills including leadership, entrepreneurship and innovation, to support your future career goals and progression.
How to apply
The program has yearly intakes with most projects planned to commence in February or March. Project opportunities, including how to apply, will be advertised on the iPhD current scholarships page as they become available.
For more information and scholarship opportunities as they become available, sign up to our eNewsletter.
Frequently asked questions
For more information, please see out FAQ page.
If you have any further questions about the iPhD program, please contact us.