Each year, 90 billion tonnes of primary materials are extracted and used globally for plastics. Only nine per cent is recycled. This has led to significant economic, social, environmental and health impacts.
As part of our Ending Plastic Waste Mission, we’re aiming to reduce the amount of plastic waste entering the Australian environment by 80 per cent by 2030. While we’re working on a range of projects in Australia and overseas to help solve the plastic problem at scale, everyone has a role to play in helping us reach this goal.
In celebration of World Environment Day on 5 June, we’re giving away five copies of CSIRO Publishing’s new book, Ending Plastic Waste: Community Actions Around the World. The book tells the story of the people and organisations around the world making a positive impact on the environment and their communities by turning plastic waste into a resource.
To enter the chance to win a copy, simply follow these easy steps:
- Capture a photo or video that showcases how you reduce plastic waste.
- Post it on Instagram and include the hashtag #EndingPlasticWaste in the caption.
- Make sure you’re following us on Instagram
Whether it’s as small as remembering your reusable coffee cup or as significant as organising a community clean-up, we want to hear your story. The competition will run from 5 June to 19 June 2023, so be sure to post your photo during this period. You can enter as many times as you like, so get snapping!
Terms and conditions
- The promoter is the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (“CSIRO”) (ABN 41 687 119 230), Clunies Ross Street, Black Mountain, ACT, Australia.
- Entry to the competition is open to all Australian residents aged 18 years or over. Employees, directors and officers of CSIRO or any person associated with the Competition, or any organisation or individual associated with the provision of the prize(s) are not eligible to enter.
- Each entry must be made in accordance with these Terms and Conditions. By entering the Competition, each entrant agrees to be bound by these Terms and Conditions. Entries not submitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions may be deemed ineligible. Information on how to enter and prize details form part of these Terms and Conditions.
- The promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by or associated with Meta.
- All respondents who publish a photo or video to Instagram with the hashtag #EndingPlasticWaste in the caption for the Competition period will be considered contenders to win one (of five available) copy of CSIRO Publishing’s book, Ending Plastic Waste: Community Actions Around the World (individual value $59.99).
- Entrants may submit as many entries as they like to the competition (each post constitutes an entry) but may only win one prize.
- The Competition period commences at 09:00am AEDT on 5 June 2023 and closes on 19 June 2023 at 11.59pm AEDT. Any entry received by the promoter before or after the Competition period may be ineligible for entry and no responsibility will be accepted for lost, late or misdirected submissions.
- The promoter may at its absolute discretion remove or reject any entry for any reason whatsoever.
- Each entrant warrants that its entry does not breach the copyright or other intellectual property rights or privacy rights of any other person.
- The entries will be judged on creativity, quality of imagery/video and dedication to ending plastic waste by a panel of CSIRO staff on 21 June 2023.
- The winners will be notified within two business days via Instagram direct message. The prize will be sent to the mailing address supplied by the winner by standard post after the announcement of the winner. The prize is not transferable or exchangeable or redeemable for cash. We will make reasonable efforts to ensure winners receive their prize. Where we are not able to deliver a prize despite making reasonable efforts to do so the prize will be reassigned.
- If there are any unclaimed or un-awarded prizes a second judging will be conducted following the same criteria on 6 July 2023. The new winner will be contacted by direct message on Instagram within two business days. A prize will be deemed to be unclaimed if we have been unable to contact the prize winner through the contact details provided by 11.59 pm on 5 July 2023.
- If the Competition is interfered with in any way or is not capable of being conducted as reasonably anticipated due to any reason beyond the control of the CSIRO, including as a result of technical failures, CSIRO reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to the fullest extent permitted by law to modify, postpone, suspend, terminate or cancel the Competition as appropriate.
- Except for any liability that cannot by law be excluded including any statutory consumer guarantees, CSIRO, nor any of their respective officers, employees and agents will be liable for any injury, damages, expenses, or loss whatsoever (whether direct or consequential) to persons or property as a result of any person entering the Competition or accepting or using any prize, including without limitation, failure of any winner to contact the promoter, non-receipt of any prize or damage to any prize in transit.