A changing global landscape
Manufacturing supply chains are becoming increasingly global, with customisation and the integration of service offerings becoming the new norm. These product transformations are being driven by significant advances in digital connectivity and analytics, which are also playing a role in creating more efficient supply chains and factory floors. As key inputs become scarcer, and concerns grow over the known and unknown consequences of climate change, manufacturers are being forced to consider more sustainable operations and offerings.
A vision for Australian manufacturing
Over the next 20 years, Australia's manufacturing industry will evolve into a highly integrated, collaborative and export-focused ecosystem that provides high-value customised solutions within global value chains. The sector will focus on pre-production (design, R&D) and post-production (after-sales services) value-adding, sustainable manufacturing and low volume, high margin customised manufacturing.
Enabling the vision
There are immense strategic growth opportunities for Australia's manufacturing sector. Turning them into reality will require significant technological innovation by public and private research communities. The key science and technology areas include:
- sensors and data analytics
- advanced materials
- smart robotics and automation
- additive manufacturing (3D printing)
- augmented and virtual reality.
- a greater focus on, and participation in, global value chains
- an improved ability to attract and retain staff with skills in digital literacy, leadership, customer interface and STEM capabilities
- a more diverse workforce (age, gender, ethnicity)
- improved business-to-business collaboration and less fear of local competition
- improved collaboration and alignment between industry and research.
Download the report
Want to learn more about how Australian manufacturing can prosper? Download the Advanced Manufacturing Roadmap or talk to CSIRO Manufacturing about how we can help.
- Advanced Manufacturing - A Roadmap for unlocking future growth opportunities for Australia PDF (798 KB)