We understand the complex degrading effect that heat, light, moisture and stress can have on plastics.
We have expertise in:
- degradation and stabilisation mechanisms
- accelerated and natural weathering
- property prediction by modelling
- instrumental analysis
- mechanical and physical assessment.
Note: CSIRO’s Infrastructure Technologies laboratory has closed certain testing capabilities related to accelerated weathering and plastics durability. For any questions relating to this aspect of materials performance, please contact us so we can discuss details and assist with the identification of alternate laboratories.
Providing advice on plastic durability
We can assess the influence of weathering on plastics durability, including the effect of ultraviolet radiation and the synergistic effects between ultraviolet radiation, heat and moisture.
By accelerating the plastic weathering process we can:
- investigate long-term product development
- compare the durability of different products or formulations
- test products to existing Australian standards.
Independent consulting on coating technologies
We provide independent, multidisciplinary services on all facets of coating technology.
We can assist with:
- accurately and independently preparing products to specification, including Australian standards and the Australian Paint Approval Scheme
- monitoring product application to ensure that all aspects of the specification are complied with, including correct product application, proper surface penetration and correct film builds
- investigating all coating-related complaints and providing expert witnesses, report preparation and dispute resolution to a coating problem.
Our services are accredited by the National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA) and comply with all its requirements for chemical laboratories. NATA-endorsed reports can be issued for many tests.
We are also accredited to the main International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO) standard used by testing and calibration laboratories (ISO 17025).