Ready to start your self-assessment?
Collaboration Readiness Levels are a way for you and your R&D partners to explore mutual interests, manage expectations and build trusted, impactful relationships.
Our research shows that when business begin their collaboration journey there are often barriers that can impact the success of collaboration. These barriers can be costly, cause product/service delays and impact quality of the industry-research relationship.
Businesses can use a new collaboration readiness level tool to assess their 'readiness' before starting to engage with publicly-funded research organisations like CSIRO or Australian universities.
The Collaboration Readiness Levels (CRL) have been created using the insights gathered from our research partners at RMIT, University of Queensland and Queensland University of Technology. The methodology behind this and the steps taken to create the Collaboration Readiness Level tool can also be found in our research report and in the methodology page on the tool's website.
By working through the tool to determine a 'collaboration readiness level' and receiving recommendations, businesses will be more informed about their capacity to effectively collaborate and given contacts to relevant programs and facilitators.
Having a level helps users with an understanding of their own business maturity, culture and expectations. This allows business leaders to embark on a conversation with a facilitator, technology officer, researcher or grants officer to accelerate outcomes and project delivery. It also shares what opportunities and key activities can be undertaken at their level and the one above.
Our Collaboration Readiness Levels and the self assessment tool will:
- take users through a series of questions to categorise their current state of operations and collaboration culture
- assign a level from 1 to 5 of 'readiness'
- send users information on the types of collaborative activity with research organisations that most suit their business at the present time
- provide relevant program information and contacts
- provide feedback on specific areas for improvement in their business
- indicate how they can move through the levels as their readiness matures.
It can also be used by non-business users to assess new partners from industry who may approach them for collaboration opportunities.
The tool can support facilitators and granting bodies to manage expectations of businesses, provide a common language and find understanding to promote an effective partnership, pre-project.
Using the tool
This free tool is easy to use and takes about 8-10 minutes to complete. You will be able to email yourself a copy of the results which includes your Collaboration Readiness Level and recommendations for next steps suited to your Level.
The tool will guide you step by step through a questionnaire to determine your level and recommendations.
Download the report
- Creating value for SMEs: A collaboration readiness index and tool PDF (557 KB)
- Creating value for SMEs: A collaboration readiness index and tool - accessible text only version TXT (16 KB)
- Complete table of all collaboration readiness level results PDF (96 KB)
- All collaboration readiness level results - accessible text only version TXT (18 KB)