The first decision support tool that forecasts agricultural innovation adoption rates, initiated by Cooperative Research Centre Future Farm Industries. The Adoption and Diffusion Outcome Prediction Tool (ADOPT) encourages users to consider the influence of a set of population and innovation characteristics on uptake.
Understanding likely extent and rate of adoption
Investments in agricultural research and innovation were commonly made without a structured analysis of the likely extent and rate of adoption. Guessing was common, despite the availability of research identifying the factors that often influence the rate of adoption. This led to missed opportunities to better target research, development and extension investments.
ADOPT – a tool for assisted decision-making
ADOPT is the first decision support tool that makes it easy to generate a forecast of likely rates of adoption of an agricultural innovation and identify what factors will be most influential. By giving decision-makers a readily accessible way to apply sound adoption principles, more informed research and development investment decisions can be made.
- 2011: first beta version of ADOPT; an Excel tool with Cooperative Research Centre Future Farm Industries
- 2013–15: tool revisions
- 2014: beta version of Smallholder ADOPT for developing countries released
- 2018: online version of ADOPT; 1,300 total users
- 2019: online beta version of Smallholder ADOPT released
National and International uptake and adoption
ADOPT is now being used by major research and development corporations and project teams in Australia and internationally. ADOPT has been cited in more than 70 international studies. Based on benefits gained by major domestic users and revenue from overseas users, the benefit-cost ratio is estimated at 18.6.
- ADOPT Impact Case Study - Full Report PDF (266 KB)
- ADOPT Impact Case Study - One Page Version PDF (130 KB)