Objective 1: support
Provide appropriate support to our people with disability and/or people with caring responsibilities, through a range of mechanisms and resources.
- Establish a community network to provide a mechanism for people with disability and/or people with caring responsibilities to have a voice in our organisation.
- Advocate for and develop accessible content to better support our people with disability and/or people with caring responsibilities.
- Develop individualised plans in partnership with the person with disability/ and/or people with caring responsibilities.
- Establish a network of disability champions to ensure that our people with disability and/or people with caring responsibilities have access to the support they need.
Objective 2: working environment
Provide a safe, accessible, flexible, welcoming, and inclusive work environment for people with disability and those with caring responsibilities.
- CSIRO buildings and facilities will implement universal design principles to ensure safe and accessible sites for our people and visitors as part of our welcoming and vibrant community.
- Actively support our people with disability and/or with caring responsibilities to work flexibly whether on site or working from home including appropriate reasonable adjustments.
- Encourage and support all people including those with disability and/or with caring responsibilities to embrace new ways of working.
- CSIRO systems will be accessible for people with disability.
Objective 3: culture
Develop an inclusive culture that values and recognises the unique contributions of our people with disability or those with caring responsibilities.
- Diversity, inclusion and belonging (DI&B) committees (with support from the DWG) will facilitate local initiatives to improve the inclusion of people with disability and those with caring responsibilities.
- Team members and line managers will actively undertake DI&B training that includes specific information on working with people with disability and/or with caring responsibilities.
- Develop our Disability Employee Value Proposition and work towards becoming an employer of choice for people with disability and those with caring responsibilities.
- Empower and equip leaders to create a step change in how we support our people with disability and/or caring responsibilities.
- Positive and enabling language and images will be embedded within CSIRO's policy, procedures and documents.
- Increase representation and visibility of our people with disability and/or with caring responsibilities in all communication, materials and campaigns.
Objective 4: talent and development
Welcome people with disability to apply for roles and actively work to develop and retain our existing people with disability and/or caring responsibilities in the workforce.
- Become accredited as a disability confident recruiter with Australian Network of Disability and create policies to support this.
- Specialist disability advice will be readily available to candidates, hiring managers and staff in the onboarding process.
- Deliver targeted development opportunities for our people with disability and/or with caring responsibilities.
- Candidates with disability and/or those with caring responsibilities will have the opportunity to have processes adjusted to meet their needs, resulting in an equitable recruitment, commencement, and onboarding experience that sets people up for success within their role.
Objective 5: plan, measure and improve
Continuously monitor and report on the progress of our disability access and inclusion action plan through to maturity.
- Ensure a robust monitoring and reporting framework is implemented.
- Business units will support local disability access and inclusion initiatives that align to the organisational action plan.
- Deliver targeted programs that support leaders to build awareness and accountability.
- Regular and transparent progress reports are made available to all our people.
Evaluation and reporting
How will the team know if this is successful?
CSIRO will embed impact evaluation activities to provide credible evidence of systemic and cultural change through the implementation of the Plan. This will allow us to consistently plan, monitor and evaluate the activities we implement. Through our impact evaluation methods we will seek to improve advocacy, accountability, and analysis, guiding us to make more informed decisions along the way. Our work will be in alignment with the CSIRO organisational wide impact framework. Through this planned method we will ensure that our actions are relevant and realistic, with a view to identify and mitigate risks as we implement the Plan.