We are committed to ensuring our people thrive and everyone goes home safely, every day.
Each of us is accountable for working safely, looking out for the safety and wellbeing of those around us and minimising our impact on the environment.
CSIRO complies with all applicable laws and regulations and has a clear framework for managing the health and safety of our people and our environmental impact.
HSE is a shared responsibility, requiring the active commitment and participation of all our people, our leaders and our partners. We work together to learn and continually improve our performance.
Our organisational values are the foundation for our success, and provide clarity on how we demonstrate our commitment to HSE.
- Demonstrate HSE leadership at all levels through visible, proactive and vigilant behaviours.
- Build a culture where positive HSE habits and interventions are regularly recognised, rewarded and reinforced.
- Work hard to ensure everyone understands their HSE responsibilities and accountabilities.
- Focus on individual and team wellbeing, and recognise and manage work‑related stress and other psychosocial risks.
- Report all incidents, injuries and hazards and act promptly to provide support, prevent a recurrence and share learnings.
- Seek input and advice from others to ensure suitable risks, mitigations and actions are enacted.
- Listen to the experiences of our people and leverage their insights to develop solutions.
Making it real
- Systematically identify hazards, assess potential impacts, develop mitigation measures and implement appropriate controls to eliminate or minimise risk.
- Enhance the positive impact of our science through minimising any adverse effects on our environment, Indigenous and European heritage and biodiversity.
- Equip our people with the best information, training, resources and tools to enable them to perform their work safely and proactively drive a culture of safety and wellbeing.
- Create an environment where our people and others feel truly supported and empowered to speak up and stop unsafe work.
- Support the management of injuries and illnesses through early intervention, rehabilitation and return to work programs.
- Comply with all HSE obligations as set out in relevant legislation, standards and procedures.
Policy approved July 2020 by Chief Executive, Larry Marshall and the CSIRO Board
This policy is also available for print – Health, safety and environment policy PDF (510 KB)