About Data61 PhD Scholarships
At CSIRO's Data61, we aim to develop top-quality doctoral students who will prosper in careers in Australia’s data-skilled workforce. Our PhD scholarship program provides opportunities for outstanding postgraduate students with demonstrated academic and research excellence to further their careers at one of Australia’s most trusted organisations.
We offer a diverse, inclusive and flexible working environment where our people are supported and empowered to come up with digital and data solutions with impact.
You’ll work closely with your supervisors and teams on research projects that are aligned to our strategic goals. Our scholarships are awarded in partnership with Australian universities, so you’ll receive support and guidance from university supervisors alongside some of the country’s leading data and digital science experts.
Please carefully read the eligibility requirements and FAQs prior to contacting enquiries.
Scholarship eligibility and requirements
Candidates are selected through a competitive assessment process.
Applications are open to:
- domestic and international students who current live in Australia
- international students overseas at the time of application, who hold a visa to study in Australia.
In addition to the above criteria, you must:
hold a first-class honours (H1) Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in the relevant research area (completed or near completion)
- have applied for admission to a PhD program at an Australian university or have completed less than 12 months study in a PhD program at an Australian university at the start of the scholarship’s commencement period
- have a university supervisor who confirms they are willing and able to supervise you listed in your application, as Data61 does not organise your academic supervisor
- not already hold a PhD degree
- be ready to commence within the specific time and period noted in the advertisement.
If you do not have admission to a PhD program at an Australian university, we recommend you apply for admission before putting forward a Data61 PhD scholarship application. Depending on your university's processes, candidates may apply for eligible university scholarships at the same time as they apply for university admission. Please liaise with your university's student office about their specifications.
Scholarship funding and conditions
Data61 PhD scholarships have a maximum term of 3 years and 6 months.
- You will be co-supervised by researchers in Data61 and academics from your Australian university.
- A full scholarship includes a base stipend at the Australian Government Research Training (RTP) Program base rate supplemented with a top-up scholarship of $10,000 per annum. Students who are successful in receiving a university base stipend from an Australian university can apply for a top-up scholarship only.
- If you have already commenced a PhD, the term of scholarship will be reduced by the period of study already undertaken.
- Scholarships include learning and development expenses of up to $5,000 over the term of scholarship with the use of these funds being at the discretion of CSIRO and the students' university supervisor.
- To continue receiving Data61 scholarship payments you must maintain satisfactory academic progress and engagement with Data61. Progress is monitored through complementary annual scholarship and academic reviews undertaken by the university review panel which will include the relevant Data61 supervisors.
Students who are successful in receiving a university base stipend from an Australian university can only apply for a top-up scholarship.
How to apply
Opportunities are advertised twice each year, usually April-June and September-October. Bookmark the CSIRO Studentships and Scholarships website to find out when applications open and create a personal profile to apply.
We only accept applications through our online application system. Please do not email through your EOI.
If after reading the above information and the FAQs page and you still have a query which is not addressed here, please contact us
Discover some of Data61's past research on our website and current job opportunities to inspire your future. Please visit the FAQs for further details prior to contacting enquiries.
Frequently Asked Questions
Application assessment, leave allowances, converting to part-time study - FAQs answered