Generation STEM Links is delivered to NSW regions where it will have the greatest impact: by growing communities with growing STEM industries.
Research has shown the key barrier to employers taking up student work placements is a lack of time and resources. There is also a drain of STEM qualified talent, with 46% of STEM graduates moving into non-STEM jobs and 16% of STEM graduates leaving for overseas opportunities. The program is offered to NSW students in their penultimate to final year of study, in STEM degrees and qualifications, that employers believe would benefit most from a work placement experience.
Overview for industry and students
|Industry partner grant||*$2,500 per student payable after completion.|
|Industry partner eligibility||*NSW STEM businesses with > 5 employees in the identified eligible location priority areas|
|Minimum 200 hours (5-6 weeks full-time to a maximum of 25 weeks part-time).|
|Student eligibility||*NSW undergraduate or equivalent University or TAFE/VET STEM students in their penultimate to final year.|
|Student wage||$25/h minimum to be paid by the industry partner.|
*Please refer to the full Generation STEM Links Eligibility and Guidelines PDF (184 KB) for a comprehensive guide.
- On-the-ground support for onboarding, induction, and regular check ins throughout the placement.
- Assistance with the application process and framing ideas into projects for industry partners.
- Management of the recruitment process from end-to-end.
- Promotion to local NSW STEM students and tertiary institutes.
Generation STEM is made possible by a $25 million endowment from the NSW Government to the Science and Industry Endowment Fund.
- Industry partners and students are invited to review further information and submit an expression of interest by completing either the Industry Partner Expression of Interest Form or Student Expression of Interest Form, noting that students will also need to submit an up-to-date CV.
- The Generation STEM Links team will match the most suitable student with the industry partner based on placement preferences, STEM alignment, experience, and project/activities.
- A meet and greet between industry partner and student is arranged before confirming placement.
Generation STEM Links