Integrating energy storage into the commercial mix
SEIF is a platform to test stored energy technology and hardware, so that we can integrate stored energy on a commercial scale. This is essential to reduce cost and emissions for Australia's energy future.
Efficient energy use in a real-life setting
SEIF, a state-of-the-art facility at CSIRO's Energy Centre, tests energy and storage hardware in a controlled environment, so clients know how energy is being used to maximise savings of both cost and energy.
Our platform captures onsite generation and provides tariff-driven energy management to minimise the load on the grid during peak times. This means we can monitor how to use energy in the most efficient way, which means significant savings in our running costs.
- 900 kWh of energy (in standard and advanced lead acid systems and lithium) can provide 280 kW of power to supply site loads, manage variable power or export to the grid.
- Simultaneous multimode scenarios provide bulk energy charge and discharge, including peak shaving and peak/off-peak time shifting.
- Fast response to transients for ramp rate control.
- Modular design to enable changes in configuration and variable inputs for continued intelligent algorithm development.
- Applications to forecast renewable intermittency mitigation and storage efficiency maximisation.
- Lithium ion battery bank energy storage technology that:
- generates/exports 132 kW of electrical power
- stores 150 kWh of electrical energy
- uses lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4 or LFP) battery chemistry.
Real changes. Real impacts. Real savings.
At SEIF, we can carry out extensive testing to hardware-in-the-loop (complex real-time systems) including shifting, smoothing and demand management of electrical bus loads connected to the grid. We can evaluate your own technologies and hardware in a controlled environment and create accurate data to meet your site-servicing requirements.
Through consultancy, collaboration and strategic investment, SEIF can:
- configure and simulate energy use for your commercial site
- test hardware
- estimate cost and energy savings
- make changes for your business for cost and energy efficiency.
Take a 360 degree virtual tour of SEIF and see how our energy storage and battery systems are driving energy efficiency.