R&D support for start-ups and small businesses
Innovation is a major driver of business growth, however many start-ups and small businesses can often face barriers, such as lack of technical expertise or funding, when trying to access research and development ( R&D) to explore new opportunities.
CSIRO's Kick-Start program helps start-ups and small businesses overcome some of these barriers to pursue R&D activities, by providing an end-to-end facilitation service, including:
- help with articulating your research question
- connecting businesses with relevant CSIRO researcher expertise and capability - think of us as you in-house R&D division
- matched funding support to improve the affordability or expand the scope of R&D services.
|Matched funding||Eligible R&D activities||Eligibility Criteria||Research support|
|Access up to 2 vouchers between $10K- $50K each*||
||A CSIRO researcher or research team will work with your business on the R&D project.|
* Eligible companies can apply for a second CSIRO Kick-Start project, after completion of their first, providing they continue to fulfil the eligibility requirements and subject to availability. You cannot undertake two Kick-Start projects simultaneously.
How does it work?
We realise that engaging in R&D can be a daunting prospect, and your facilitator will drive an end-end R&D process.
- Submit an Expression of Interest DOCX (47 KB) - once you've identified if you are eligible for the program, so you can tell us a bit more about your proposed project.
- Matching - Following this, our experienced Kick-Start facilitators will work with your businesses to try and match you with the relevant CSIRO expertise for your project, typically within two to six weeks.
- Project gets underway - once we've been able to find you a match, you'll be invited to submit a full application process to get the project underway.
While the Kick-Start team will do their best to find a match, please note it may not always be possible to find suitable research expertise and or the capability to match the requirement of your R&D project. Where this is the case, we will try our best to support you by helping identify suitable alternatives.
Your project scope could be anything from:
- Research into a new idea with commercial potential.
- Developing a brand-new product or service with commercial potential to increase your customer base - We helped CannPal discover natural products to promote better health and well-being for companion animals.
- Testing a novel product developed by the company - Wash Wild engaged CSIRO to test four key pathogens used in their cleaning products made from Australian native oils.
Please reach out to the facilitation team below if you'd like to discuss your idea. Our case studies also provide good examples of previous projects we have supported.
How much funding does my company need to provide?
Your company needs to match the funding provided by CSIRO. For example, if we provide funding of $50,000, your business must also provide $50,000. This must be a cash contribution and cannot be in-kind.
Please note funding from CSIRO is not provided directly to your business; it is applied as a voucher to defray the costs associated with accessing CSIRO research and capability.
Companies we have supported
Find out more and apply
For more information and to submit an EOI, please get in touch with our CSIRO Kick-Start Program team.
Dr Megan Sebben
Kick-Start Program Manager (SCIENCE CONNECT)
- Program Eligibility and Guidelines PDF (171 KB)
- Program Eligibility and Guidelines - text version TXT (11 KB)
- Expressions of Interest form DOCX (47 KB)
- SAMPLE Expressions of Interest form PDF (131 KB)
- SAMPLE Expressions of interest form - text version DOCX (52 KB)
Need more information?
Read our frequently asked questions (FAQs)
Other R&D support
- Innovate to Grow program - a free 10-week program for businesses at the early stages of their R&D journey.