We help companies:
- enhance their global competitiveness through development of novel products
- access some of the world's most innovative technologies
- reduce their risk in the commercialisation of new products and technologies.
How we help the food, ingredient and technology manufacturing industries
We have an outstanding history of working with food manufacturers to:
- create innovative food products
- apply conventional and innovative food technologies
- increase process efficiencies
- produce prototype batches
- scale up new products and processes to near production-scale
- train staff and customers.
We help companies with a range of options from a once-off use of a single piece of equipment to prepare a commercial batch of product to long-term, strategic partnerships in developing pilot plant applications using innovative technologies.
Facility case study: Clextral Pacific
France's leading extrusion technology company, Clextral, along with Australian food process expert company, Inovo, and CSIRO's food innovation centre have developed a world first transformative technology that could develop brand new food products with improved functionality using far less energy than currently needed.
The potential value in future manufacturing of foods and ingredients such as dairy powders, flavours, coffee, nutraceuticals and beverages is estimated in hundreds of millions of dollars. The world's first pilot-scale set up is at CSIRO's Werribee site and Australian company, Flavourtech, is a commercialisation partner for the technology for tea and coffee globally.
The patented extrusion porosification technology (EPT) process can dry numerous products and ingredients with higher solids content and operates at a lower temperature than regular spray drying. This gives products unique characteristics and improved functional properties. EPT not only saves large amounts of energy, but causes significantly less damage to a food's flavour and nutritional composition.
Key CSIRO resources for industry
Our $50m world-class food manufacturing research and development pilot plants in Werribee (Victoria) and, in partnership with the Queensland Government, in Brisbane (Queensland), are more than 3000 m2 in size and house a unique range of conventional and innovative processing technologies and equipment, providing secure and confidential operations for our clients.
We are world leaders in innovative food processing technologies such as high pressure processing, pulsed electric field, ultrasonics and cool plasma and developing applications for industry.
In Werribee, we have:
- six self-contained 500 square metre registered food factory modules
- a further two non-food grade modules
- equipment fabrication and maintenance workshop
- laboratory facilities for chemical, biochemical, physical and sensory analyses
- storage areas for extended storage of samples and products.
Our Brisbane pilot plant includes:
- five independent temperature controlled rooms
- dedicated industrial-sized cold and freezer rooms for seafood, meat and horticulture
- high hygiene cool room for fresh product handling
- warm room for thermal operation or fermentation
- food grade certification.
Our expertise, technologies and equipment for hire include:
- separation and fractionation technologies including ultra filtration, fat fractionation, clarifiers and decanters
- thermal processing including UHT processing, heat exchange technology and commercial scale overpressure retort
- evaporation, spray drying and particle sizing technology
- state-of-the-art pilot cheese manufacturing plant
- fats, oils and emulsions processing technology including extraction, deodorisation and texturisation
- emulsion technology including homogenisation and microfluidisation
- packaging technologies including horizontal form-fill-seal modified atmosphere packing plant, aseptic packaging, tray packaging and vacuum/gas flush packaging
- fillers, closer, ovens, coating system, mixers, bowl cutter, injector, smoking oven, grinding mills, jacketed scraped-surface kettle and more.
To discuss how our facilities could help your business innovate, contact