Blog icon

Do I need a collecting permit or can ANIC provide me with one?

ANIC cannot provide you with a collecting permit. You will need to apply for a collecting permit from the state or territory you plan to visit while in Australia. Each region manages their own permitting and the conditions vary from state to state. ANIC cannot provide you with a collecting permit.

The following links provide more information on how to apply for collecting permits from each state and territory:

Do I need an export permit?

If you intend to permanently remove the specimens from Australia and lodge them in an overseas institution you will need to apply for an export permit. Details on the procedure for applying for an export permit can be found on the Federal department of environment research pages.

If you wish to borrow the specimens for a period of time and then return them for lodging in an Australian institution, such as ANIC, you will not require an export permit.

Before specimens can be exchanged your institution will need to be registered either with CITES or the Federal department of environment.

Please note that any native Australian specimen that is described and designated as a Type (holotype or paratype) must be lodged in an approved Australian institution.

Approved institutions include the ANIC, as well as the state and territory museums. Australian Type specimens must not be lodged in an overseas institution.

Contact us

Find out how we can help you and your business. Get in touch using the form below and our experts will get in contact soon!

CSIRO will handle your personal information in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and our Privacy Policy.

First name must be filled in

Surname must be filled in

I am representing *

Please choose an option

Please provide a subject for the enquriy

0 / 100

We'll need to know what you want to contact us about so we can give you an answer

0 / 1900

You shouldn't be able to see this field. Please try again and leave the field blank.