The Industry PhD (iPhD) program seeks to attract high calibre candidates with the vision of developing Australia's future research leaders.
The program actively promotes collaboration between academia, industry and the applied research sectors to shape the future of industry-based research training.
We are creating research leaders who are work ready and understand the needs of industry, our graduates will grow our industries and contribute to an innovative Australia.
The iPhD program is building Australia’s innovation capacity by harnessing research excellence across the university, industry and science sectors.
Key aspects of the Industry PhD program include:
- a four-year program, with a six-month industry internship
- students work on projects identified by an industry partner
- balanced investment: co-investment between industry partner, CSIRO and university partner
- increased per annum scholarship to attract top PhD candidates
- supervision by an Industry partner, a University partner and CSIRO
Current University partners are University of New South Wales, University of Adelaide, Edith Cowan University, Curtin University, Murdoch University and The University of Western Australia.The Industry PhD project brings together partners from industry, universities and CSIRO to develop Australia's future research leaders.
The Industry PhD program is specifically designed to support industry-based research training in Australia and improve Australia’s innovation capacity.
We are looking for leaders in large, medium and small enterprise to be a part of this industry-focussed program.
As an industry partner you can:
- assist in defining the research project and the selection of PhD students
- help mentor iPhD students towards a research career in industry
- support the development of PhD students, supervised by some of Australia’s leading researchers in state of the art facilities
- access new knowledge and support the development of your current and potential future highly skilled workforce
- develop networks with top applied research experts in your industry sector.
Program Details for students
The program includes:
- admission to a partner University PhD program
- a structured professional development and training component
- a project expense and development package
- an internship of six months with your Industry Partner
- a scholarship package, comprising
- Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) Scholarship or equivalent
- CSIRO Top-Up Scholarship.
The eligibility criteria, areas of interest, and partners will be detailed along with the call for applications via the CSIRO Careers website.
The program is only available to Australian domestic applicants.
Partner with us
Interested in partnering with us on the Industry PhD program?
For more information contact Duncan Byrne.
Mr Duncan Byrne
Program Manager - Industry PhD (SCIENCE IMPACT & POLICY)