The need for consistent and accessible data
Our soils are a valuable national asset, and their proper management is vital for Australia's resilient and sustainable future.
To restore and manage our soils for the benefit of all, we need appropriate and relevant soil information.
Currently, there is a lack of nationally consistent, timely and accessible soil data to support development and management decisions at national, regional and local levels.
A national approach to soil data and information
As part of the National Soils Strategy, CSIRO is leading a $15m project with the Australian Government to redevelop our national soil information infrastructure. ANSIS will provide the mechanisms to access and federate soil data and information through a collaborative partnership.
- Deliver and manage soil data and information standards
- Develop centralised and distributed soil data management systems for improved and trusted data exchange and use
- Deliver web-based mechanisms for access and federation of soil data from multiple sources
- Deliver tools and applications that enable discovery, visualisation, access and use of soil data and information products
- Undertake national assessments utilising our national soil data to support policy, national reporting, industry/community and land manager use of soil information, and to show the value and benefits of ANSIS.
The ANSIS project is a collaboration between governments, industry, farmer cooperatives, natural resource management groups, research and development corporations, universities, and other stakeholders.
Benefits for all
In delivering an improved national soil information system, ANSIS will provide the data and information required for Australians to better manage, restore and protect their soils.
ANSIS will support the measurement of the impact of land management practices and enable reporting on trends and changes in soil health over time, facilitating sustainable soil management. With productive and resilient soils, our agricultural and natural ecosystems will thrive.
ANSIS is supported by funding through the Australian Government National Soil Strategy (Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment) in collaboration with CSIRO and partner organisations.