Rock-mass characterisation is a difficult task
The safety and profitability of mining operations depends on the reliability of geotechnical data used in mine designs.
Rock-masses are complex and data from mines are often scarce, making accurate characterisation of rock mass in 3D challenging.
This adds additional complexity to modelling and prediction of rock mass-response to large-scale mining problems, which are already inherently difficult.
Consistent and theoretically sound processes are required to capture rock-mass complexity and variability.
Accurate modelling of rock-mass issues requires highly specialised software and tools that can be used only by experienced specialists/modellers.
Advanced solutions for real life mining problems
Our mathematicians, physicists, modellers, mining and geotechnical engineers have developed world-class expertise,tools and software.
We have already developed:
- an integrated approach to field monitoring and modelling
- SirovisionTM: a 3D structural mapping and analysis system commercialised with DataMine
- Siromodel: software that uses a discrete fracture network to provide a realistic representation of rock-mass heterogeneity. This also includes polyhedral modelling techniques to represent sections of open-pit excavations for slope-stability analyses
- Core profiler: core-logging technology commercialised with DataMine
- COSFLOW: CSIRO propriety a fully parallelised three-dimensional coupled dual-porosity two-phase fluid flow and rock mass deformation-based FEM code. COSFLOW efficiently solves coal-mining related issues e.g. subsidence, mine-water interference, mine methane emission, multi-seam extraction, and more
- MOOSE (mooseframework.org): a modern 3D code to solve general coupled fluid-mechanics, solid mechanics problems. We have contributed advanced functionality for the accurate representation of rock failure, as well as modules to solve mine-related gas and water problems
- FRACOD2D and FRACOD3D for modelling coupled rock fracturing processes
- We have extensive experience in using commercial geomechanics simulation software e.g. FLAC, UDEC, PFC etc, and we have access to high-performance supercomputing.
We provide dedicated service to the mining industry to solve complex problems.
Our goal is to provide practical solutions, not just theoretical analysis.