CSIRO has a 70 year history of delivering innovation and impact in northern Australia.
CSIRO first arrived in the north in the 1930s as the then CSIR, with staff primarily engaged in pastoral research based in Queensland.
Links to northern development began in earnest post World War II with the transfer of Katherine Research Station to CSIR from the Department of Army.
The first systematic land surveys of the north were commenced by CSIR in 1946 at the request of the 'Northern Australian Development Committee', comprising the Commonwealth Government and the governments of Queensland and Western Australia.
CSIRO has maintained a presence in the region ever since.