Rock-mass characterisation is an integral part of understanding complex mining problems. Through our concerted effort and research over two decades, we have developed niche capabilities to deliver accurate prediction of rock-mass response to mining and provide practical solutions to industry.
Rock-mass characterisation is a difficult task
The safety and profitability of mining operations depends on the reliability of geotechnical data used in mine designs.
Rock-masses are complex and data from mines are often scarce, making accurate characterisation of rock mass in 3D challenging.
This adds additional complexity to modelling and prediction of rock mass-response to large-scale mining problems, which are already inherently difficult.
Consistent and theoretically sound processes are required to capture rock-mass complexity and variability.
Accurate modelling of rock-mass issues requires highly specialised software and tools that can be used only by experienced specialists/modellers.
Advanced solutions for real life mining problems
Our mathematicians, physicists, modellers, mining and geotechnical engineers have developed world-class expertise,tools and software.
We have already developed:
- an integrated approach to field monitoring and modelling
- SirovisionTM: a 3D structural mapping and analysis system commercialised with DataMine
- Siromodel: software that uses a discrete fracture network to provide a realistic representation of rock-mass heterogeneity. This also includes polyhedral modelling techniques to represent sections of open-pit excavations for slope-stability analyses
- Core profiler: core-logging technology commercialised with DataMine
- COSFLOW: CSIRO propriety a fully parallelised three-dimensional coupled dual-porosity two-phase fluid flow and rock mass deformation-based FEM code. COSFLOW efficiently solves coal-mining related issues e.g. subsidence, mine-water interference, mine methane emission, multi-seam extraction, and more
- MOOSE (mooseframework.org): a modern 3D code to solve general coupled fluid-mechanics, solid mechanics problems. We have contributed advanced functionality for the accurate representation of rock failure, as well as modules to solve mine-related gas and water problems
- FRACOD2D and FRACOD3D for modelling coupled rock fracturing processes
- We have extensive experience in using commercial geomechanics simulation software e.g. FLAC, UDEC, PFC etc, and we have access to high-performance supercomputing.
We provide dedicated service to the mining industry to solve complex problems.
Our goal is to provide practical solutions, not just theoretical analysis.