We enable humanity to understand our Earth and Universe. This understanding, and our innovative science and technology, contributes to solving the greatest challenges and building future industry.
For more than 75 years we’ve been a world-leader in radio astronomy: managing observatories including the Australia Telescope National Facility and revealing the structure of the Universe.
We are also playing a leading role in a global project to design, build and operate the Square Kilometre Array – the world’s largest radio telescope – on the world’s premier radio-quiet site, our Murchison Radio-astronomy Observatory.
We operate two facilities that are part of global networks providing continuous, two-way contact with spacecraft exploring our Solar System and beyond: NASA’s Canberra Deep Space Communication Complex and the European Space Agency’s New Norcia tracking station.
Our space research is centred on satellite and space communication technologies, Earth observation data analytics, robotics and remote operations, and space life sciences.
We also operate Australia’s share of the innovative Earth observation satellite, NovaSAR-1, and with the SmartSat CRC jointly lead the proposed AquaWatch Australia mission to develop a nation-wide, integrated ground to space freshwater monitoring system.
Our team of highly specialised engineers work across our radio astronomy and space programs. They develop new instruments for our own instruments, and those around the world, to enhance our understanding of the Universe and realise benefits for us here on Earth.
Meet the Astronomy and Space Science leadership team
- Director - Dr Douglas Bock
- Deputy Director - Dr Sarah Pearce
- ATNF Chief Scientist - Professor Elaine Sadler
- Program Director, ATNF Science - Dr Phil Edwards
- Program Director, ATNF Operations - Dr John Reynolds
- Program Director, SKA - Mr Antony Schinckel
- Acting Program Director, Space - Dr Kimberley Clayfield
- Director, Canberra Deep Space Communication Complex - Dr Ed Kruzins
- Program Director, Technologies - Dr Tasso Tzioumis
- Chief Operating Officer - Ms Kate Callaghan