CSIRO’s Data61 is the data and digital specialist arm of Australia’s national science agency. We are home to one of the largest collections of research and development expertise in Artificial Intelligence (AI) and data science in the world, and host cutting-edge facilities including the Mixed Reality Lab, Robotics Innovation Centre and AI4Cyber Enclave.
Our research expertise includes AI, robotics, cybersecurity, modelling and analytics.
We are creating Australia's data-driven future
We are solving Australia’s greatest data-driven challenges through innovative science and technology.
As Australia’s national science agency, CSIRO has been applying solutions from science to solve challenges for more than 100 years. While many of the challenges are ever present - sustainable energy and resources, food security and quality, growing our future industries, for example – our ability to tackle them is being amplified and accelerated by digital technologies.
CSIRO’s Data61 is at forefront of digital science and innovation, leading both in developing new research as well as working across disciplines and sectors to apply technologies and drive impact.
Our work is focused around three goals:
- Drive the development and adoption of Artificial Intelligence in Australia, including through our leadership of the new National Artificial Intelligence Centre and the Next Generation AI Graduates Program.
- Put digital science and technology at the heart of Australia’s recovery and resilience, to help solve our immediate challenges and to anticipate and prepare for future ones.
- Reinvent the way science is done, using digital to revolutionise the future of scientific discovery, using technologies such as AI.
How can we work with you?
As your applied research and development partner we offer a range of capabilities and services to help you achieve your business goals. We offer advisory services, applied research to solve key business problems, proof of concepts and product and platform development that can transform existing industries and seed new ones.
Being part of CSIRO, Australia's innovation catalyst, means we can bring deep domain expertise across a wide range of industries and sectors. We're just as much at home working in natural resource management, digital agriculture, manufacturing, environmental monitoring, defence or government.
We have extensive interactions and collaborations with universities and manage large student programs. We are always looking for ways to provide real world experience to our students and develop new capability for Australia’s future.
Meet the Data61 Leadership Team
- Director - Jon Whittle
- Science and Deputy Director - Simon Barry
- Executive Manager Business Operations - Leisa McGuiness
- Research Program Director, Analytics & Decision Sciences - Sally Cripps
- Acting Research Program Director, Cyber Physical Systems - Mark Hedley
- Research Program Director, Software and Computational Systems - Liming Zhu
- Research Program Director, Engineering and Design - Fawad Nazir