We are one of the largest minerals research and development groups in the world, with a proud track record in delivering innovation and solutions across the mineral resources value chain.
We apply our expert knowledge and specialised research to deliver innovation that solves the challenging, complex problems faced by minerals companies, mining equipment, technology and services (METS) companies, government, and other industry stakeholders.
Our innovation unlocks the value of Australia's natural resource base and delivers a more productive, lower cost, socially and environmentally responsible global minerals industry.
- exploration geoscience
- resource engineering
- process science and engineering
- resource characterisation
- on-line analysis
- data analytics and decision support
- mine safety and carbon capture techniques
- social and environmental science.
We partner with industry, government and the research sector to deliver breakthrough innovation across the minerals value chain, on research that aims to:
- uncover resource potential through technology and expertise in fast and accurate mineral characterisation and resource discovery and exploration
- mine more effectively through innovation in sensors, automation, cutting and drilling technologies and mining systems
- optimise process performance through development of unit processes and systems that maintain or improve output while reducing energy and water use, operating costs and equipment downtime
- foster more sustainable operations through practical tools, knowledge and innovation in the areas of decision-making, environmental management, social responsibility and social licence to operate.
Our Advanced Characterisation Facility, based at the Australian Resources and Research Centre in Perth and with nodes in our Melbourne laboratories, houses diverse state-of-the-art equipment used to analyse and characterise materials specific to the minerals and resource sector. We offer industry access to specialised equipment, expertise and customised service.
Meet the Mineral Resources Leadership Team
- Director, CSIRO Mineral Resources - Rob Hough
- Acting Science Director and Deputy Director, CSIRO Mineral Resources - Louise Fisher
- Executive Manager, Business Development and Commercialisation, Mineral Resources - Julian Reynolds
- Research Director, Characterisation - Mark Pearce
- Research Director, Discovery - Sandra Occhipinti
- Research Director, Processing - Andrew Jenkin
- Program Director, Hard Rock Mining and Mining3 - Ewan Sellers
- Research Director, Sensing and Sorting - David Miljak
- Research Director, Sustainable Mining Technologies - Hua Guo