We operate two facilities that are part of global networks providing continuous, two-way contact with spacecraft exploring our Solar System and beyond: NASA's Canberra Deep Space Communication Complex and the European Space Agency's New Norcia tracking station.
Our space research is centred on satellite and space communication technologies, Earth observation data analytics, robotics and remote operations, and space life sciences.
We also operate Australia's share of the innovative Earth observation satellite, NovaSAR-1, and lead the design and development of the AquaWatch Australia Mission, a 'weather service for water quality' to help safeguard freshwater and coastal resources in Australia and around the world.
For more than 75 years we've been a world-leader in radio astronomy: managing observatories including the Australia Telescope National Facility and revealing the structure of the Universe.
We are also playing a leading role in the global SKA Observatory, an international project to design, build and operate the world's largest radio telescopes. The SKA-Low telescope will be constructed on the world's premier radio-quiet site, Inyarrimanha Ilgari Bundara, our Murchison Radio-astronomy Observatory.
Our team of highly specialised engineers work across our radio astronomy and space programs. They develop new instruments for our own instruments, and those around the world, to enhance our understanding of the Universe and realise benefits for us here on Earth.
Meet the Space and Astronomy leadership team
- Director - Dr Douglas Bock
- Science and Deputy Director - Dr Mark Cheung
- Program Director, ATNF Science - Dr George Heald
- Program Director, ATNF Operations - Dr John Reynolds
- Program Director, Space - Dr Kimberley Clayfield
- Director, Canberra Deep Space Communication Complex - Mr Kevin Ferguson
- Program Director, Technologies - Dr Tasso Tzioumis
- Program Director, SKA Telescope Operations – Dr George Simpson
- MRO Site Entity Leader – Ms Rebecca Wheadon
- Program Leader, SKA – Dr Mita Brierley
- Chief Operating Officer - Ms Kate Callaghan