CSIRO’s Biomedical Materials Translational Facility (BMTF) helps medtech companies turn new discoveries into market ready products. It contains much of the equipment needed to develop a product though scale-up, prototyping, pre-clinical testing and industry evaluation.
As the global population ages and emerging markets seek improved health care, the medical technologies and pharmaceuticals (MTP) sector is growing fast. According to CSIRO's MTP Roadmap it's expected to be worth almost $3 trillion globally by 2025.
Australia is home to more than 500 companies working in the MTP sector. Many of these are small and medium enterprises, which sometimes struggle to transition from R&D and initial offering, to a sustainable product.
CSIRO's Biomedical Materials Translational Facility (BMTF) has the equipment, expertise and experience needed to help medtech companies develop their product at pilot scale.
What facilities aren't available in house can be accessed through our M2 partnership with Monash University, providing access to high resolution biomedical imaging, as well as cell therapies and regenerative medicine.
The BMTF has a PC2 laboratory for high throughput biological testing and materials evaluation; as well as an ISO 7 clean room for materials synthesis, processing, fabrication, and surface coating. It also includes a wet lab for standard chemical processes and a robotically controlled high temperature furnace room for preparing ceramic biomaterials.
Our equipment includes:
- 2 Perkin Elmer Cell Culture Robotic Platforms
- chemical synthesis facilities
- flow chemistry equipment
- Vaportec Flow Reactor
- Polar Bear Flow Synthesiser
- Biotage Microwave reactor
- Polymer synthesis & purification
- Radley Reactor-Ready Batch Reactor (1,3 & 5 litre)
- SARTOFLOW crossflow filtration system
- Polymer processing equipment
- Twin screw Mini Laboratory Extruder
- Compression Moulder
- GeSiM Bioscaffolder 3D Printer (in Biosafety Cabinet
- Polymer coating equipment:
- Spin Coater
- Exactacoat Ultrasonic Spray Coating system
- Precision Dip Coating system
- Parylene Coater
- UV Grafting Equipment
- Furnace room
- Robotically controlled facility for the synthesis of ceramic powders