The energy sector in Australia is undergoing a major transition. The four key components of the sector - electricity, industry, transport and exports - are evolving to enable Australia's transition to a net-zero emissions energy future.
Disruption across the sector will demand new energy science and digital technologies, with profound impacts across the economy. CSIRO plays an important role in providing advanced energy research and development to assist governments, industry and the community, in the energy transition.
We deliver impact in the following areas
- Energy Systems - addresses the challenge of transitioning Australia's current centralised electricity grid system to a low-emissions, more distributed future state, while maintaining energy affordability and reliability.
- Energy Technologies - conducts analysis, modelling, design, development and demonstration activities to support the deployment of high-efficiency, low-emission energy technologies, utilising resources that from coal to renewable energy sources.
- Energy Resources - focuses on identifying and enabling new opportunities for the sustainable development and processing of Australia's conventional, primarily offshore, oil and gas energy resources and onshore gas. This includes addressing poorly understood environmental and social impacts.
Meet the Energy Leadership Team
- Director - Marita Niemelae
- Deputy Director - Dietmar Tourbier
- Research Program Director, Energy - Damian Barrett
- Research Program Director, Energy Systems - John Ward
- Research Program Director, Energy Technologies - David Harris
- Hydrogen Energy Systems Future Science Platform Leader - Daniel Roberts
- Hydrogen Industry Mission Leader - Patrick Hartley